Ahi, Lunedi

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2281786&l=58bea&id=5710249

(Thats the link to my picture album so far. For those of you unfamiliar with facebook, you should be able to just click on the thumbnail and scroll through.)

The heat is starting to kick in at the lovely town of Lucca. For the first week here it was actually a little cool and I carried a light sweater with me, but now – no need. Its probably 85 degrees, with a light humidity. The sun is very strong, and in about 10 minutes you can sweat through all of your clothes. Its alright, no one smells good here, so it doesn’t matter much.

The town is surrounded by a wall (I think I mentioned that already), and I was originally told that cars don’t drive inside the city. Um….that’s not true at all. The streets are narrow and one way, and cars still drive through them. I’ve only actually seen one stop light in Lucca, and there are sometimes small blue arrows on the sides of streets indicating which way people are supposed to drive (I guess the residents here just know), and people often zoom by pedestrians in hybrids, motorcycles, and sometimes bicycles. It is very easy to get run over.

It seems like everyone has a little dog here (and even one crazy homeless man has a bunny!). People take them with them everywhere, and since there isn’t much greenery inside the wall (its all paved/stone), dogs just do their business on the streets. The lesson? Don’t step in ANY puddles.

Pigeons are also abundant here. We have a little family of them that live outside my hostel window. I go to bed and wake up to their cooing. Its kind of a comforting sound. They are like….the crickets of Lucca. It’s a nice ambient sound.

I watched my first football (aka, soccer) match last night, in between Italy and Spain. The whole town was silent because they were gathered around TV sets. The people here go crazy for their football, and it was extremely exciting, the game being tied 0-0 all the way through the second over time and with Spain finally wining in the last shootout. There was one table of people at the bar cheering for Spain when they won, and everyone else was depressed, and the bar owner said in Italian, “They better pay their bill and get out of here!”

I can’t think of any myth to dispell about Italy at the end of this entry….I’ll think of a good one for next time. By the way, who is reading this thing? Everyone? No one? Feel free to comment, people!

Comments

  1. When I was in Genoa for my winter term trip the dogs left their little "presents" all over the street. Gross! Italians definitely aren't like Americans where they'll walk around with baggies to pick up their dog's droppings. That makes the dogs sound like pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read and enjoy your postings every day!

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts