Firenze is for SKIPPING CLASS TO EAT CHICKEN

Wow, so much has happened this week, and its only Wednesday!!!!

Monday night, Lori and I went to see Sheryl Crow perform in Lucca. I know, totally totally random. The town of Lucca just has so much money, that it has nothing better to do, than set up an amazing line of up American pop stars and have them do small outdoor concerts in the heart of Lucca. In addition to Sheryl, Erika Badu was last night, Elton John was last year, Alicia Keys is coming the night after I leave (believe me, I'm very sad about that one), Jethro Tull, and Chicago is also coming. Sooooo random.

So Lori and I paid 32 Euro, which isn't that much, and got there early so we could get prime seats in the 5th row, center. She was fabulous, skinny, and wore 5 inch hells and rocked out in white skinny jeans. She looks.....35. Definitely has had work done. She was awesome, her band was great, ditto for her backup singers. She sang for almost two hours, got an encore. A note about italian concerts (if you could even call this one), people sat down for almost the whole time. It wasn't until the second to last song that people got up and danced. The audience really didn't know who she was, but its okay, because Lori and I were the obnoxious American girls in the audience belting back to Sheryl from the 5th row. Basically a very satisfying night and I had a smile on my face into Tuesday.

Tuesday. Was. Amazing. I woke up so early, on very little sleep (for some reason its getting more and more difficult for me to stay asleep here. I think its a combination of my body getting used to waking up early, and living in a room with the ambient sounds of 4 other girls, and a nest of loud pidgeons living outside of my room), and I played hookie from class, and caught the 8:32 am train to Florence. My friend Matt also played hookie with me and we went out for, basically, a perfect day.

The sky was so blue with white fluffy clouds that my pictures almost look fake. The temperature was pleasant and not too hot. We got to Florence at around 10:30am, got some coffee, and made our way to the east side of town to check out the synagogue. We walked by the Duomo - gorgeous - but the line was waaaay too long and I didn't want to waste the time to go inside.

Let me tell you - this synagogue was pretty from the outside, but has made my list of "Brittany's top spots in the world" from the inside. It took my breath away and made my eyes wet up a little bit at the same time. Matt isn't Jewish, in fact, he'd never been in a synagogue before, so I'm not sure he really got it, but I could have stayed there all day. It had a high doming ceiling, and was painting with an intricate fresco in burnt orange, brown, gold, with blue stained class at the front. It was stunning, with dark cherry wooden seats and steel decorations everywhere. Regretfully, we weren't allowed to take pictures. It was truly breathtaking. There was a museum upstairs, we did that, and then we went on with our day.

We crossed the Pointe Vecchio, which I was a little underwhelmed with (but I DID sing O Mio Babbino Caro on it), and climbed up this big hill to get a full view of Florence. Again, beautiful.

Then onto hunt for Sostanza. Laurie....I bow to your Italian restaurant prowess. If I could doggie bag this for everyone I know in the states I would because...........it was euphoric chicken. The people at the table with us (you sit almost cafeteria style) had theirs before us and freaked out. We likewise freaked out and sopped up every last drop of the sauce with our bread. The people at our table were from Long Island, knew where North Belmore is, and are potentially sending a son to UMD next year. I "bageled" them, and said, "Oh, I just went to the synagogue....it was beautiful, have you seen it?" and they said they had seen it to, so I KNEW they were Jews. Its so true...that wherever you go, I'm going to run into someone who either grew up in Dad's area or Mom's area. One point for Long Island.

After lunch, we went shopping a little bit, and then headed back in the direction of the train station, taking pictures all the way. I might go back this weekend, and if I do, its gonna be for the Uffitzi, and more shopping. I'm really not convinced about seeing the David, I think I'd rather see the Uffitzi museum - I've never been one for statues.

I also miiiiiiiiiiiiight do Rome on Sunday. Maybe. Not sure if I'll do it by myself. I'm trying to convince someone - anyone - to skip class and go with me Sunday morning - Monday afternoon. I'm working people down.

Today I had one of the most amazing voice lessons of my singing life. I felt a real break through, although it could also be because I've been feeling so poorly, that I'm just happy to be well again. Either way, this teacher really knows her stuff, I like the way she communicates with me, and she has me second guessing my current career path. Go her! I was pretty set in my ways, but maybe classical singing again? Ah! I'll have to take a second look at Northwestern, because I think I'd go for this teacher.

I'm about to sing in a masterclass for some lady from the Houston Grand Opera in 20 minutes. Yesterday she told people they can't be fat opera singers anymore. Isn't that funny????????

Wow, LONG POST!

Comments

  1. Wow, that must of been some chicken! I love reading about your adventures, I feel like I am there with you. Try to make Rome, you will figure it out.

    See you in a couple of Weeks. Stay safe.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lady from Houston is right - no more fat opera singers! Good thing you are beautiful AND a killer soprano.
    I LOVE reading your blogs - stay safe and HAVE FUN!
    ~a

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts