Happy 4th of july.......obnoxious americans in italy should be funny tonight....

Its been a while since I've updated. This week was just busy with coachings, lessons, hanging out with people. I woke up this morning, and the first thought that I had was that I couldn't believe how fast the time has flown by, and how close I've grown to the people here. Two weeks ago I was a little bit skeptical that I'd make these kinds of bonds and connections, but I've made this whole new group of friends, and I'll be sorry to see them go. We've talked about doing a potential "reunion" in August, we'll see how that goes/if that happens.

So it looks like I'm not going to Rome while I'm here. There is a train strike this weekend, and no one wants to spend the money with me to go. I can't believe that I'll be in Italy and not be seeing Rome at all. Oh well. I think the plan is to go to Florence tomorrow, and then maybe the beach on Sunday. I refuse to leave Italy without seeing Florence. I'm pretty stoked. For some reason I'm not as sad not to be seeing Rome, as long as I can go to Florence. This is pretty much our last free weekend during the program, so everyone is making their last stop travel plans.

Sheryll Crow is actually coming to Lucca on Sunday night and is giving a free concert, and so is Erika Badu on Tuesday. How random is that? I'm real excited for that.

Last night we had a Bel Canto concert and I sang "Donde Lieta" from La Boheme. Earlier that day I totally bombed in master class; a combination of nerves about singing for my peers for the first time, and still freaking out about not having my voice back. Later that day I took some time to refocus and think about what Carmen and Alison have taught me so well to do, and to make sure not to get distracted by trying to please all of the coaches here in Italy, who in reality, do not know me or my voice that well. I am somewhat satisfied with my performance that evening. It was definitely better vocally than the afternoon, but only half of what I know I am normally capable of. My middle register was terribly hoarse, but my high notes were rather beautiful, for some strange reason, I cannot figure out all the way. I do know that my time with Franc D'Ambrosia (who hails as the longest running Phantom of the Opera and is a faculty member here) helped me act it better than I ever have. He gave me a fabulous perspective about the character of Mimi, and I believe that the new take on the song helped make my performance more effective for the audience, even if my voice wasn't there all the way.

My voice is so messed up....I started taking the antibiotics that I brought with me to Lucca today, and even now I already feel better. I could be just in my head, but I really don't think its allergies at this point. I'm ready to knock whatever this is out of my throat. My vocal folds just aren't coming together in the way that they usually do. I'm doing everything else right. I'm using breath like crazy, and singing as freely as I know how. Its gotta be early onset of bacterial laryngitis. If not.....I either need to see a laryngologist when I get home, or never live in non-a/c'd Italy again.

Tonight is the fourth of July, and everyone in the program is gonna go out and have some fun in honor of the forth. Maybe some coronas though. Definitely some coronas.

Comments

Popular Posts