old romance

It has taken me 4 weeks to come around, but I've officially fallen, head over heels, for Italy. Today walking around, I started noticing just how romantic every little detail is, from the clouds in the sky, to the profiles of the buildings against each other, to the small children chasing each other around the piazza. Its relaxed and happy here, and I just don't want to leave. I'm just not ready yet. Today it sunk in that the time is on the clock, and I got out my camera and started to click pictures of absolutely anything that looked beautiful to me, all the while jamming out to some Joni Mitchell on my iPod. Recently I've taken to hanging out in the grass in the afternoons and not caring about the time or the schedule on my Blackberry, and the less I think about the time passing, the faster is slips away. It is as if someone pressed the pedal on the hourglass this past week and now all of a sudden it is time to go home. I am having the time of my life....and I just can't imagine leaving yet.

I'm also homesick. Its such a strange dilemma, being torn in two directions. I think its because I've finally gotten comfortable in Lucca and my relationships with the people here, and as a result, Lucca has become a new familiar home "space" to me, just like back at home, or at school. I wish I could pick up the people I love from the states, and have them with me in this beautiful little country. I miss the people from home, but not necessarily all of the physical aspects of home.

Last night we had another concert, and I feel alright about my performance. My voice is starting to click back into place, I think a result of slightly more sleep. I swear, since I've been here in Italy I've done the best singing of my life and the worst singing of my life. I'm sort of excited to be done with a rigorous schedule of being told when to sing, and being able to just sing when I want to.

I might go to Rome on Friday, just for a day. Just a slight possibility. I need to determine if its worth absolutely exhausting myself, because it would be, as I would have to do it in one day, and with no sleep, basically. Oh well, you only live once and I don't know when I'll be in Italy again, so I'll probably do it.

Comments

Popular Posts