Day 2



Remember Diana Degarmo? No? I think she was the second runner up from the American idol season that Fantasia won (B-A-B-Y-M-A-M-A), and what a great season that was *cough* *cough.* Although, I do remember wanting her to win, and not Fantasia. So, you ask, what does this former A.I. contestant have to do with my adventure today? WELL we'll get to that in a little bit.


After taking the 7:25am train out of Long Island, I got into the city around 8:15 am, and made my way to Times Square, to sign up for my first chorus call of the day. I made it in as Non-Equity number 14 on the list....after 454 some Equity people (all the equity women must be seen before any non-eqs get to go). I was still hopeful, because on average, half of the equity people who sign up end up not turning up to the actual audition at 10am.

I left to head over to the second audition which was near Columbus Circle. I got in at 8:45am for a 10am audition = number 59. People had been there since 7am. This job was not something I was particularly interested in, so I was okay with being number 59. Still, I was an hour and 15 min before the original sign in, and I'm still surprised at the intensity and tenacity of the actors in NYC. Competition is fierce, and everyone is actually good.

This audition was for a spin off of the Wizard of Oz, starring Diana Degarmo, who was actually at the audition. She was very sweet and had purple hair (I found that surprising?), and the whole production staff was warm, welcoming, and organized (snaps to them). The audition was well run, and I was seen within the first hour of the call. Much better than yesterday's non-equity fiasco.

I felt that I sang very well. Megan gave me some really great advice yesterday - don't force yourself to be something you aren't. As obvious as that is, I've been trying to double guess what casting directors want, attempting to change up my voice/act with each audition. The result is just some half/assed and sometimes cracking voice, and no job. Today I was totally relaxed and just did what I do best. I don't think its what they are looking for, and I don't think I got the job, but at least I did well. Thats all I can really do, is hold myself to my own personal best. Sooner or later, I WILL be what someone is looking for.

I ended up sitting next to the same girl while waiting to be seen as yesterday. She was really very sweet, and helped pass the time. Since I had such luck talking to strangers, I felt a little braver and introduced myself to random people by complementing them on things like their shoes, headshots, hair, etc and quickly made new acquaintances. (Actors LOVE to talk about themselves. All you have to do is open the opportunity!) I had lunch with a nice girl from upstate NY, and we exchanged numbers because we might both go to the same open call on Thursday.

Headed back to the open call on Times Square to see the terrible, awful sign posted on the door, "Sorry, no non-eq females today." NOOOOOO! I was number 14! Terrible.


I hope tomorrow & Thursday aren't like that...but I have a feeling they will be, since they are both Broadway Chorus Calls (equity). What do I have to do? Take the 4 am train? To be continued...


Comments

Popular Posts