Can you play me a memory?

Another gem, courtesy of google image search

Today I had my piano tuned. I recently acquired this lovely (and free) instrument from some friends-of-friends. It is a Story & Clark, and looking it up by serial number, it was supposedly made in the 1940s. It sounded like it hadn't been tuned since about then. 

This piano tuner was such a delightful old man, something you'd imagine in a fantastical children's book. He was about 5'5" (not much bigger than me), with wispy white hair, and carried his tools in an old fashioned medicine man's bag. His voice in it of itself was so musical - every time he said "MM hmm okAY now" I couldn't help but to smile. I sat with him for the hour or two while he worked, completely enthralled in what he was doing and just asking him questions, like, "How does one get started in a career of tuning pianos?"

My other friend told me that her piano tuner made duck noises to find the correct pitch. Interesting twist. My guy just used a tuning fork. Anyways, this man told me I'd be an excellent candidate for learning how to tune pianos!! Perhaps he could just sense my eccentricity. I think I'd be a good fit. 

Comments

Popular Posts