Come up in my spot looking extra fly


Today was what I would call EPIC. Part I: Woke up early, dragged my tired self to Baltimore for what turned out to be a very good audition!

I meant to get there at the start of the 10am call, ideally I wanted to get there earlier to be first, but was just too tired and could not force myself out of bed this morning. I ended up getting there a bit later, but the audition monitor was so nice and let me sneak in at the end of the first group. (Yess! That means I didn't have to wait an extra hour while 20 other people went ahead of me.)

I sang my song, and then got squeezed into the dance group. Confirmation - I am not a dancer! I need more training, for sure. This dance was all over the place, changing directions, turning, little kicks, etc. I can do all of these things with someone to break it down slowly and stick it in my brain, but in 10 minutes, forget it. I have the short term dance memory of a teaspoon. I tried not to embarrass myself, and to my utmost glee, I was called back to read/sing for the lead character that I had my hopes on. I think I did as well as I could have, and I think the casting team liked me.

I have finally found the secret to a successful audition - don't be nervous! I went into that room totally myself, chatted it up with the auditioners a bit, and then felt just fine as I was singing and reading. It was great to have my nerves under control so I could just do what I do best.

Part II: My friend met me at the theater, and we headed up further north (just a couple hours drive) to an audition for a cruise ship. About two weeks ago, after I had been turned away from my fourth cruise ship audition I officially threw in the towel and decided that I won't break a sweat to go to every cruise audition that comes my way. I figured I just wasn't what they were looking for. However, this audition was so close, and my friend wanted to carpool, so I just agreed. I didn't have anything better to do for the afternoon.

Turns out........I got called back to be a lead singer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a really big accomplishment for me because I had been turned away twice by this company, and four times total by cruise ships. And today - I passed the singing auditions with ease, and was asked to stay for the "mover" call.

Again - mental choreography memory of a teaspoon. I did my best. I hope I showed them my inherent, erm, gracefulness? Mover-ness? Basically, I did the moves but its obvious I wasn't a trained dancer.

If they like me, they will contact me in two-three weeks to put me on a "hire list" for cruise ship scheduling. Oh Powers That Be..............ihopethattheyemailmeemailmeemailmeemailmeemailme!!!!!!! Everyone who reads this - send me all your good mojo.

I could not be in a more different place this Sunday than I was in last Sunday. Hello, fluctuating opinions of me/my talents/my career.

Comments

  1. How amazing would a cruise ship be?! Free travel!!! *keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only *free* but *paid* travel!

    Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now... can you get your friends a discount?! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts