Do streams meet boulders halfway through woods?

Broadway Today! My first (even if it was very indirect) mention in an article on Playbill.com!

Finally, press gave UMD some props. Holla! I'm still searching for reviews.

It was a very overwhelming day, running many levels of emotions and energies at once. Our initial call was at 12:15pm, and I didn't leave the KC until 10:15pm. It was quite the day.

At first it seemed very surreal to be surrounded by so many names that I had seen neatly printed on the tops of my favorite songs for so long - Stephen Schwartz (composer of Wicked, Godspell), Lynn Flaherty & Stephen Flaherty (music/lyrics of Ragtime), Jeanine Tesori (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Caroline or Change), and also other performers that I had regarded as super-human and recognized their voices almost my whole life, such as Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Liz Calloway (the voice of Anastasia).

These people are salt of the earth. They shook my hand, had personal conversations with me, took interest in what I had to say, and were genuine. They were real people, which as silly as it sounds, I had almost expected them not to be. I was very intimidated before meeting them - I mean, what do you say to the people who have carved the footsteps that you so earnestly wish to follow in? But it all worked out. I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to get to know them a little bit, and soak up some of their talent via osmosis.

Me & Stephen Schwartz

As it ended up, I did get to sing the solo in our choir piece. What a gracious man - it was his call (if he wanted to sing the whole solo or let me have a little piece), and he allowed me this opportunity that I regard as very generous and a huge learning experience. After our rehearsal, I introduced myself and he said to me, "You sing very well. Thank you."
Lynn Flaherty told me, "You will be successful, I know it." I have emblazoned these memories to keep in my pocket for some rainy day.

To sing from the KC Opera Stage! I hope to return to it many times in my career :) I found myself dazzled by the view (it was a full house), looking out at the people, wishing I could stand up there forever and drink it all in. *Sigh*

We were later invited to a reception to shmooze -

Chase, Capathia Jenkins, & Me

Capathia was such a warm, lovely lady! She was in the original Broadway casts of The Civil War and Caroline or Change. Big voice. Big Heart. She made a point to talk to all of the students and really connect to them. As a "little person" I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that!

Chase, Adriane Lenox, & Me

This woman is a powerhouse! Her number from
Caroline or Change gave me chills, stopped the show, and inspired me all over again. Original cast of Dreamgirls, Caroline or Change, many revival credits. She is in a show that is being work shopped, and if it comes to production, I will go to wherever it is and see it. No wonder she has a Tony.

If you'd like to watch the podcast, you can go here. It will take you to the KC Millennium stage archive, where you can stream it live from Real Player. We are at the very end of the program.

Comments

  1. B! Good to see you've got some exciting stuff going on at home! I've been following your blog when I can - looks like you're pretty determined :)

    Good luck with everything.

    -B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts