Leagues



Ah, the simplicity of a 90 second audition. Being ushered in and out, in efficient groups of 15, with hardly enough time to shimmy out to the little white X on the floor and make an impression on the expressionless faces in the audience.

No nerves at all today, probably because I was feeling a little "whats the point" about the highly-industrialized nature of the League of Washington Theater's annual auditions. Again - I was pleasantly surprised afterwards about how positive the overall experience turned out to be.

There are something like 50+ theaters registered for the auditions, but only 30 showed up for my audition day. The ones that I really wanted to be there saw my audition, which I was pleased about.

You are called on deck in groups of 15, and wait back stage for your turn. You finally strut out to the middle of the stage, slate your name and your pieces, and sell yourself for the 90 seconds. It was impossible to see the faces of the audience - the lights were blissfully too bright - but they did laugh at my monologue, which I was the most nervous about. The song went well, and off I went with a "thank you, have a nice day." I was halfway out of the room, still clicking my high-heels, before the next person started slating their name.

I'll be going to the SETC in Alabama to give the same audition, so this was a great warmup. However, when I'm in AL, I'll have dance callbacks, and (hopefully) acting and singing callbacks going until late at night. This was an easy day - just a quick in and out.

The purpose of this audition was not so much for theaters doing specific casting, but more to check out the new talent. I hope they like me and I hope I am bombarded with calls these upcoming weeks...

Comments

Popular Posts