Free Willy


C. Douglas Ramey Amphitheatre in Central Park in Louisville, KY
The stage is still under construction for Macbeth which opens tonight!

Have I really only been here 2 days? It feels like 2 weeks. Let me rewind a bit and recap...

My first day of work ended around 5:30pm, after having gotten off the road at noon and being thrust into a whole lot of paperwork and rehearsals and orientation. That evening I met up with a friend who lives in Louisville, and we went to a delicious dinner at an Irish pub and walked around town for a bit.

Louisville - you are so cute! I....really wouldn't have known or have guessed. Apparently in the last decade the mayor has made a huge effort to clean up the city, and there are cultural centers everywhere, lovely parks, and other hubbubs of activity. One of the main attractions in town is 4th Street, which happens to be a few blocks down on the street I'm living on, that has enough neon lights to make you think you are lost on a block of Vegas with a lot of bars, dance clubs, and music spots. Apparently that is the place to be. We kept walking down to the water front of the Ohio River that has a beautiful park with flowers and fountains, overlooking the bridge connecting Kentucky to Indiana. I kind of want to drive across the bridge to say I went to Indiana....although people are telling me there isn't much there. Except a WalMart.

Day 2 was also busy and fulfilling. The interns continued to run around town doing various people's bidding and at the end of the day they sat with me in my room as I finished my costume assignments. There are 5 acting interns including myself, about the same amount of Education Interns, who go around to local schools promoting the shows and teaching Shakespearean skits to schoolchildren, and there are a few technical interns as well. We are mostly the same age, just graduated from college or about to, and we all live on the first floor of the dorm.

I forgot how much I enjoy dorm living! I have a single room and air conditioning, so I can't find much of anything to complain about! The costume shop is in the basement of my dorm, which makes my intern duties very easy. The only thing that is a little weird/gross is that the showers are located in their own room, which are shared by the entire floor, co-ed. Boys and girls share the showers at the same time (there are separate stalls of course, and apparently there are "boy" times and "girl" times designated for the shower room, but I honestly don't care as long as no one tries to join me in my shower).


From rehearsal in the park yesterday. We are practicing up close, but you can see more actors practicing in the distance, too.

The intern company (thats us) are responsible for a pre-show every night. Before last night's preview we gave ours a try, and it went pretty well. It is a Shakespeare Spelling Bee and we pull members from the audience onto the stage. Its cute. Mostly I enjoy practicing outside and in the park because it is so so so beautiful.

And in case you missed it, here is the link to the professional photo album from Strega *sniff sniff*

Comments

  1. To be or not to be...
    Have fun and be careful.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never stopped in Louisville, only driven by TO CROSS THAT BRIDGE on the way to Indiana.

    If I remember correctly, there's a decent rest stop on the other side of that bridge. And then nothing else for a loooong time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts