Half-way point

So here I am at the half-way point of the program, with only 3 weeks left to go. Tonight closes our first show, and Tuesday starts our final week of rehearsals on our second show, to open on July 2. It's interesting how as people get more comfortable with each other...they get less polite. They complain more. True colors start to come out. Its almost as if people are picking teams...the complainers vs. the hard workers. Thankfully the HW team is much larger than the C team. I choose to run with the HW team. Nothing bothers me more than negativity. Its go time people...one week left! Work your butt off!

I put in a good 4 hours in the costume shop today. I usually rip seams, sew on various trim/decoration, but today I got to dye a pair of pants (ooo! ahh!). My biggest feat today was to organize a very large ToDo list of every costume piece in R&J and its current completion status. Our costume designer is fabulous, but she keeps lists in her head, not on paper. I'm hoping this will speed along our process, as we always seem to be picking up projects and then getting distracted by newer and shiner things to do.

Long day today. Dance call at 9am, outside on the stage. It must have been 80 degrees this morning, with incredible humidity. We had rehearsal until noon, a break for lunch, then another rehearsal from 2-3. I worked in the costume shop then for several hours. I am so beat....there is a closing night party for Macbeth, but I'm thinking it might be a good night to go to bed early.

Tomorrow is my day off. Mondays are the day off in Actor-land. Everyone else is auditioning for a professional theater in town, but there aren't any shows on their upcoming season that fit me, so I am sitting out. The other people available don't seem to want to do anything involving the outdoors which is just a shame. There is so much I'd love to do, such as, go to Six Flags, go to the pool, go hiking, go explore the Louisville public parks. Perhaps I'll go to a museum all by my lonesome...

I would have no problem doing many of these things by myself, but first a word about Louisville. There appears to be quite a large population of homeless, unemployed, disabled, drunks, and/or mentally handicapped persons that just roam the streets at all hours of the day. Many of them are in motorized wheelchairs (which strikes you as odd at first when you see literally 10 people a day in wheelchairs just on the sidewalks on your block). There are way more people that stand on corners aimlessly here than anywhere else I've seen. I consider myself a brave woman (having lived in College Park for 4 years especially) but I don't feel comfortable walking by myself in broad daylight even to the public park. I don't think I'd feel comfortable sitting by myself outside, even. It makes me very sad to see such a large disadvantaged population here, especially in such a beautiful and generally well-maintained town.

My friends and I have a theory that the people roaming the streets with no liveliness are actually Zombies and are part of the Zombie-apocalypse. We drive to rehearsal and go "That's a zombie, oh look...two zombies over there!"

Comments

Popular Posts