Professionalism

What does it mean to be a "professional"? In the acting and arts community, where we strive to blur the lines sometimes, what it means to be a professional can be unclear. This is not exactly a traditional field of work.

I am so looking forward to being a part of the actor's union which strives to define and protect the professional nature of being a performer (although I am certain I will have my complaints and see the problems with the union once I get there), but the issue with doing non-union theater is that you aren't protected. You aren't protected from unnecessarily long rehearsal hours, lack of schedules, command chains, unset payscales, undefined duties, etc. When an Equity theater breaks a rule and it is reported, they get fined by the Union. Therefore, everyone follows the rules (and hopefully) we all remain protected from abuse in the system. (In a nutshell.)

Professionalism is not solely the responsibility of the producer/management team. It is something that every individual involved is personally responsible for, especially the actors. As creators of the art and as the mediator between audience and artistic message, I believe the actor should hold himself to a higher standard of excellence and personal professional respect. This includes how you go about your role preparation, how you conduct yourself in rehearsals, how interact with your fellow company members, and also how you stand up for your rights in the rehearsal process.

The result of a lacking in professionalism is the ever-ominous "bad reputation," which can be so damaging in the arts community, when so much of hiring is done by word of mouth.

There is some tension here at the festival. We open for previews in a day or so...how I see it personally, is that this is a great program that provides free theater, we have a stellar cast, and even if some things are under-rehearsed, the cast relations on stage literally sizzle and its going to be a fabulous show. I'm proud to be apart of it. Rehearsed a million times or not.

The rehearsals have been difficult. Some members of the cast have been really great and open about incorporating the "intern company" into the "professional company," others have been openly and pointedly self-segregating. Yesterday someone even said, "We don't need your advice, Intern." Right, okay. I stick to the open and friendly ones who have been working this business for many years, trying to learn as much as I can from them.

As one of the actors said to me yesterday, "The only difference between the 'interns' and the 'actors' is age and experience. Its the natural order of things and you shouldn't be held responsible for that."

Agreed. I'm getting paid, too, so I'm a professional actor, and I am holding myself as such.

Comments

  1. You KNOW what my response would be to that jerk! Hang tough honey, live and learn...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts