Limbo

Sorry no blog posts lately. Theres literally been nothing to write about.

I'm living in an odd state of limbo. I have two months until my rehearsals for the tour start, and all the theaters are cast through the spring time. No community theaters are auditioning for shows that run July - early Sept (most shows were May - July, or Aug - Oct). No one wants to take voice lessons from a teacher who is only available for two months. I'm going back to my desk job for an impressive 12 hours a week. In the meantime, I'm spending....a lot. Of time. At. Home.

I should use this time to take dance classes, which I finally looked up some schedules for tonight. I could also start learning some new arias for the fall pre-auditions for local opera companies. However, it is difficult for me to get motivated when there is nothing pressing to do, no deadlines means no pressure.

I'm used to writing a 5 page paper the night before its due and feeling a sense of triumph, like I had bunked the system. Its hard for me to get used to a "gradual work pays off in the long run" sense of accomplishment. I blame public schools and standardized testing for this frame of mind.

When in procrastinating moods (as I am deeply in one right now), I tend to read a lot. I go through phases. I'll not pick up a single book for 7 weeks, and then all of a sudden, I'm an insufferable book worm for 7 days, reading non-stop, late into the night. I've just finished reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, author of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. A cute book. Brain-candy, as Kristen and I like to call books that require little brain power but are really delicious to indulge in.

Comments

  1. Brain candy!
    I love it -- totally stealing that expression.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts