Scheming...

Can you see the new backround image? If you can't, I might have to take a sledgehammer to my face.

I'm trying to think of my next move. Yes, literally, my next move. Sure, I have work through the end of March, but then what? Right now I'm living with my parents, but I ain't planning on keeping house with them forever.

I have a little money saved up, and I'll have a little more after this gig is over, but the idea of taking a leap of faith and moving out terrifies me. Its the financial aspect that scares me the most. Acting is not exactly a steady source of income, and yet, paying rent/utilities/food requires a steady source of payment. I don't need my business major to figure out that I could blow through my savings in a hot second.

Also - where do I want to live? If I am getting work in MD/DC, then it would be so hard for me to reason moving out of my folks' house because it is in such a great location, but also comes with the limitation on my pride of being a self-sufficient adult.

The tempt of NYC is strong, but I have no connections there, and it would be more expensive, and may take longer for me to find work there. Also likely that if I find work out of NYC, it may take me to a regional theater (and then I'd have to sublet, and move all over again).

I could (and most likely will) stay here until I'm 45 and keep traveling for auditions. Why the hell don't performers get paid more? I mean, really. We are a highly specialized profession, and we improve others' quality of life. We bring happiness, can relieve stress, bring communities together, help facilitate worship, spread messages, and bring life to art. Why doesn't the United States value the artist?

Comments

  1. Hello, accidentally I drop by your blog ^^ Yes I can see your background except the center (of course it's covered by your blog, hehe)

    I read and have something want to share with you...

    I don't know how old you are! but I guess maybe just around 24-27. Now you have job and stable income but maybe not yet married ^^

    Is there any reason why you want to move out your parent's house?! I just can guess that you want freedom... if just only this reason, please think again! because maybe your parent need you staying there, they are getting old and if you leave them they will be depressed and I think they would never insist you not to go even they really want to because they always want you to be happy! (Do you have any other brother or sister living with them?!)

    Actually, I don't want you think I teaching you but I just want to share my feeling... because I have same situation... Now I am living far from my home (I must to), and I can feel how sad my mom feel, of course she never ask me to stop my work and come back home with her because she know with the way I chose I can not grow up in my homeland... I am trying to finish all and come back later...

    Wish you have a best decision ^^
    Glad to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've asked myself the same questions about the US and artists. It seems to me that a recession is the perfect time to push for a deeper arts community... we'll see what happens!

    Just wanted to say hi as I dropped by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts