Thoughts from inside a 300 person choir


(photo credit: Washington Post)

Handel's Messiah makes me feel bad that I'm not a "believer." This rendition is pretty convincing, with the extra-lush orchestra and the terrific soloists. I've never done the full piece before, only excerpts, which would explain why I never heard the whole story.

The story telling is split between four soloists (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) and a Grecian-type chorus. Some of my favorite moments would be when the bass introduces himself in a very "fire and brimstone" manner, and you can see the audience sitting up taller in their seats. A close second would be the first time the alto soloist (who is actually a contra-alto....really cool) opens her mouth and you hear this rich blanket of sound that can be closest described as a trombone. The cherry on top, of course, is the soprano, who has the most beautiful songs, and in this case, steals the show with her spectacular tone and pious demeanor. Her voice is so beautiful, it gave me chills every time she opened her mouth. Again - too bad I'm not a "believer," or else I would have really believed she was the voice of the angel bringing good news to Zion. From sitting behind her, in row 4 of the choir bleachers, she had me believing. Good job, Soprano-lady!

A note on the soprano - she was sick tonight, and still gave a stellar performance. We only know that she was sick because the director made a comment, and she had a small bottle of water on stage with her. I am in awe of her breathtaking tone quality even on her "sick" day. Truly inspiring, on several levels.

Things that I enjoy while singing in a large choir with an orchestra - the crisp sound of many pages of music turning at once, a collective breath, having the privilege of watching the conductor's face while the audience only sees his back.

Things that make me laugh to myself while singing in a large choir - overhearing other people's conversations. Making a mistake and having 35 people tell you about it. Watching the audience.

**Whenever you see a show, you may think that the performers on stage can't see what you are doing...you are wrong. We can see everything. I like to count how many people are snoozing.**

Comments

Popular Posts