CHI-town




Taking a picture in the reflection of the famous "Bean" sculpture

Downtown Chicago

Chicago - I love you. You are in my top 5 favorite US cities. This was my third trip to the Windy City, but my first time in the dead of winter. Must say, that properly dressed and with an awesome North Face coat, it was very bearable. Considering that Chicago is also one of the major theater communities in the country, a change of scenery to Illinois doesn't seem so bad.

Walking around "the Loop" with a map, I was stopped at least three times by strangers asking if they could help me find my way. That would never happen in DC or NYC. First time someone approached me it was alarming, but then, it grew on me. These people
are so warm and genuine.

For a few dollars I bought a self-guided walking tour map that took me around the main downtown attractions and gave a few facts. Went to Millennium Park, saw many of the famous sky scrapers, Chicago artistic landmarks, Art Institute, Chicago River, and the Shedd Aquarium.

View from the Sears Tower

Yes - I went to the top of the Sears tower. For some reason the Seattle Space Needle held no lure for me, but I was so excited about seeing Chicago from 103 stories. There was a clear viewing box that juts out from the side of the building, so when you look down, you can see the tops of skyscrapers and streets below. The view was incredible.


Don't fall

Ended the day with and adventure on the public transit system (bus, El, and Metra). I got back to my hotel room crumpled, exhausted, and happy.

Comments

Popular Posts