RIP Tessie the Turkey


To this turkey and all the other turkeys grown, processed, and consumed for the function of this holiday...I am so sorry. I felt really, truly awful as I was preparing this bird for my family today. On a completely hypocritical note - this was my first turkey, and I made it all by myself - and it was delicious!!! I did try a bite. I needed to sample my artwork. Oh well, not all vegetarians are perfect.

The cooking team: I made the turkey & sides, Mom made the stuffing & cornbread, and Harry fetched from the pantry.
Ma & I were up bright and early this morning; the cooking fiesta started at 9am. By 1pm, we were done cooking everything, from the turkey to the casseroles. I had no idea cooking could be so thoroughly exhausting!


We all skipped lunch and had an absurdly early 5pm dinner. I know I couldn't wait to dig into all the delicious dishes. As a vegetarian, it was less about the turkey and more about the sides. We had a sweet potato and marshmallow melt, mashed cauliflower & potatoes, zucchini cakes, kugel, green bean casserole, cornbread, and I went a little crazy and made homemade cranberry sauce.

Surprisingly easy to make from scratch.
I made the cranberry sauce with agave nectar instead of sugar, and no one could taste the difference.

Almost too pretty to mess up. Almost...
After-game face.
Dinner was followed by an apple crisp and some ice cream cupcakes in the shape of turkeys from Carvel. All in all, a successful Thanksgiving - and my first Thanksgiving primarily cooked all by myself. 

Isn't it interesting that Thanksgiving makes us reflect on the people in our life and encourages us to reach out? Today I was driving and someone's dog was loose. Several people, including myself, stopped to catch him. I would have stopped my car in the middle of the road for a stray dog any day of the year - but would they have? I feel that the "holiday spirit" unnaturally forces folks out of their shell. Suddenly the bank teller is making conversation with me and strangers are wishing me a Happy Thanksgiving. 

It saddens me; why can't we be more receptive to others more often? Why do we only need to be thankful one day, or one season out of a year? I personally am not a big fan of holidays (every day of life is reason for gratitude), but am appreciative of the time with family and loved ones. 

But please, stop sending mass "HAPPY THANKSGIVING" texts to everyone in your phonebook. That's really insincere and makes me want to cram a Hallmark card in your mouth.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts