Sunday in the Hall with Steve


On Sunday I was able to cross something off my Life To Do list:

Meet Stephen Sondheim.

::edit:: Be in the same room as Stephen Sondheim.

The lovely folks at the Music Center at Strathmore (love them!) hooked me up with the most amazing seat - Row F, Seat 118. That is six rows from the stage, right smack in the center. When I sat down, my heart started racing, I couldn't believe I was so close to the man who has inspired me so much, and has written so many of my favorite songs.

I was beaming the entire time. I think he might have looked at me, I can't be sure. I cannot recall having this experience before, but I was literally star struck. Dumbfounded. My gut instinct was to rush up to the stage and give him a hug.

He was being interviewed by the wonderful Peter Marks, Washington Post Theater critic, who appeared to be just as big of a Sondheim aficionado as I was (he was also a judge for the Signature Idol contest I was in this summer). Steve (he goes by Steve with friends! We are his friends! Eek!) talked about how he works in the tradition of Rodgers & Hammerstein in that he tells a story through song that is intrinsic to the telling of the musical.

Later that evening, I watched the WETA broadcast of Tina Fey receiving the Mark Twain Award for Comedy. As this award was presented by the KC, guess who watched the sound check on her lunch break last week? This chick. From the staff cafeteria, we were able to watch Jane Krakowski practicing her dance number.

It sure is good to work for art organizations. :) Sunday was an incredibly inspiring day, overall.

Comments

Popular Posts