Health Away From Home

Continental Breakfast at the HIE
How do you keep healthy on the road? Every morning at the Holiday Inn Express you are presented with a bevy of options ranging from omelets, biscuits and sausage gravy, and cinnamon buns to...



"Healthy" options of yogurt, eggs, and cereal. A year ago while I was on tour, I thought that this breakfast was a perfect replacement to my morning meal at home. I could supplement it with something sweet if I wanted, and depending on where in the country we were, sometimes there were some regional specialties - like really, really good biscuits.

Since I've become increasingly more health conscious and trying to steer myself away from processed foods, the only fresh food in its original form here is a banana. Even the oatmeal comes in an "instant" package. Don't people know that oatmeal is already instant?

I opted for oatmeal with peanut butter (processed) and honey (who knows how much actual honey vs sugar was in that packet), with a banana. I first reached for the Smuckers jam packet - but the first ingredient was listed as high fructose corn syrup, aka, super sugar.

I did find a satisfying breakfast, but was surprised at the lack of fresh and natural options available.

Comments

  1. Eating healthy away from home is tough. I laughed over the insta oatmeal packs because I'm forever commenting that all oatmeal is quick and easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should just call it what it is - Oatmeal! Why is everyone so obsessed with putting things into self-serving packets? Thanks for visiting the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be challenging, that's for sure. haha I love that you called the honey super sugar - so true. As crazy as it sounds, I bring food with me on trips - my own hot cereal (just add hot water), food bars, fruits and vegetables, veggie bars, cereal and small almond milk... it was a pain at first, but it's totally worth it. I always feel great when I'm away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea to bring your own food, Leanne. A little planning ahead can make a big difference in how you feel afterwards.

    Have you seen the "Corn Sugar" advertisements? What a fraud!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts