Learning Curve

Do I look like a military wife? Err...
Yesterday I went in for my first commercial casting of the year, for a military training video. There wasn't a lot of info to go off of, but I decided to go all the way, or go home.

I put on very little makeup, slicked my hair back, and borrowed a button down blouse from my roommate. I wore very conservative slacks and shoes. When I walked into the audition, I was so dowd-i-ly dressed, the auditor said, "Excuse me, are you here to audition?"

I've auditioned for a similar project about a year ago, when I was very fresh to on-camera work. I dressed how I normally do for auditions - big hair, big lips, bright clothing. No wonder I didn't get the job. I didn't give one ounce of thought to who this "woman" might actually be.

So today I am much more prepared for my audition. I not only worked on the copy, really thinking about character and action, but also did some research online. I saw what their past videos looked like, and took some hints.

In the audition room, I noticed that I'm no longer afraid of the camera. I think this new level of comfort comes from the modeling work I've been doing lately. I can comfortably look into the camera and talk...with my eyes, for lack of a better term. (Thanks, Tyra.) Before I would get dry mouth when the tape would roll, and start micro-managing every word out of my mouth. I hope those reels are lost at the bottom of the sea.

Its like all my acting classes just "clicked." I calmly took risks, made levels, and remembered to have a "moment before" I started to read. They liked my first read and asked me to make a change. I thought of a completely different scenario in my head - and went with it. No one but me knew what I was thinking, but I believe this imperceptible change came across and I gave a solid audition.

I'm just so excited that I wasn't nervous!!! I wore the right thing!!! I remembered my first two lines!!! They said I did a "really, really good job, actually."

To me, this was a win, even if the job wasn't booked. 2011 here we go!

Comments

Popular Posts