The Soprano Shuffle

On the bus, excited for my mini-trip. 

There really should be a Megabus rewards program. I've been going back and forth to NYC so much lately, I should have earned a free trip via punch card by now.

Up on the docket - 6 auditions in 2 days. Here's what actually happened:

Early Monday morning puts me back on the 8am M20 bus from Washington to New York. This trip is starting to feel like deja vu. I get into the city around noon and make my first audition stop of the day. This theater had a great season lined up of all classic musicals, and accordingly, everyone and their mother was trying to get an appointment. My alternate number was in the 30s, which was not bad, so I got my 124,532,321 layers back on and trekked to audition spot #2...

Where I was also assigned an alternate number, since all the appointments had been given out that morning at 9am (while I was on the bus). My alternate number was around 150. Not looking good.

I knew I'd be seen at least once that day, because I signed up last week when I was auditioning for Phantom of the Opera. I head over to the third audition studio of the day. Once the elevator opened on the 10th floor, a wave of sweat and nervousness assaulted my nostrils. Do you know what a room of 200 actresses smells like during NYC winter? Not great.

I got my number, but knew I'd have at least two hours to spare. I kept hearing rumors that audition spot #2 was "just flying through alternate numbers," so I leisurely stroll the 3 blocks to check the status of my number. They weren't going to call my name anytime soon, but they have a nice big dressing room, so I had an opportunity to change. As I'm touching up my hair and makeup I get a text from someone at audition #3, "They're about to line up your group." Ruh-roh.

Arriving at audition #3 in the nick of time, I throw on my heels and sing my heart out. Had a great time and think I gave a solid audition. The heels come off, boots back on, and time to go back to audition #1 and check my alternate status.

Its getting late in the day and I know things will be wrapping up in about an hour. No sooner than I get settled into the waiting room do I hear, "Alternates over 21 will not be seen today." My number was in the mid-30s.

One outta three ain't bad! At least it wasn't zero! Lets just say I slept really well that night.

Stay tuned for part two of the Soprano Shuffle.

Comments

Popular Posts