Thanks, Tweeple.

I am pulling my hair out right now! (And also indicating...cause I'm such a good actor!)

This is the busiest time of year in terms of auditions. Last year I was on tour and missed out on a lot of casting opportunities, simply because I was unavailable. Now I'm here, and what do I do?

I get over-anxious and unfocus. Its like my mind is a skipping record and the song isn't actually playing, but the one part of the track is caught in the needle. You don't go anywhere but you hear a lot of noise in the process. 

I am constantly reminded at how talented everyone is in this town and how important it is to keep my eye on the prize. The other day a keyboardist hung steady to a tempo I didn't agree with, and it threw me for a mental loop. My mind was racing, trying to salvage my acting beats. What happened was a complete lack of focus and a pretty lackluster performance. To get a job - you've got to be spectacular! You've got to be the best! I wasn't the best. I didn't get that job. Facts are harsh.

I was pretty pissed at myself. I wanted that job. I would have been great at that job.

But you know what? Several people over the past few days have given me unsolicited kindness. Things like, "You were born for this. You'll do great," "Of anyone I know, I know you will reach your goal," or simply, "Be encouraged. Keep on your grind." 

Did these people know how much I needed to hear encouragement? Probably not. I'm not particularly close to any of them, nor had I told them I wasn't feeling too chipper from my week's auditions. They gave me sweet little doses of the positive, in a moment that I was really in need.

Yes, this industry is competitive, and some may call it "cut throat;" but kindness and developing genuine connections will bring you success; at least on a human level. I won't forget those people that reached out to me. I'll reach out to them. So to those that have ever encouraged me, especially when I was feeling a little low, I say a hearty;

Thank you.






Comments

  1. I definitely understand what it's like to compete in a "cut throat" field. I think you're navigating with ease! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Magoogle. Some days are easier than others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts