Community

Slowly but surely, I'm tying up loose ends and preparing to relocate my daily life. Its easy to forget all of the people you interact with over the span of several years in your hometown.

Yesterday, as I was getting my teeth cleaned at the dentist, I realized that this dental hygienist has gradually gotten to know me through small windows, twice a year, since I was a little girl. She's been following my progress and my career.

I've been getting my hair cut by the same hairdresser for the past five years. We always talk about boyfriends and jobs.

Just in this past year I picked up a side job at a catering company. The boss told me if I ever wanted my job back it would be waiting for me, because "I'm family."

I've been answering telephones at a local art's organization since I was in college. The employees there have watched me grow up, just as I've watched the organization grow up. My coworkers are all artists in their own right, working there because they need a part-time job. This makes for a very diverse and pleasant working environment, even though we are doing menial office tasks. We've all got a great sense of humor.

I now understand what it means to be a part of a community. You don't categorize these people as members of your closest circle, but they are the friendly faces that fill out your day. They occasionally lend a helping hand, and can always lend an ear to listen to the daily ups and downs. You feel like you belong.

My friends and family will stay with me after I move. My community will be sorely missed.

Comments

Popular Posts