Connect

A pet-peeve of mine is how people in Washington, D.C. fleetingly make eye contact. Passing on the street, they don't say hello to each other, but instead pretend that they are zoning off into space, thinking about more important things than...

human connection.

On the other blog I write for, I have noticed more DMV area actors popping up. I make a special effort to say hello, because they are from my community and we are all walking the same warpath together.

After my lackluster industrial film callback, I was feeling rather confused about how the local film industry works, and reached out to one of the DMV bloggers who seems to be bursting at the seams with work. My idea was to learn from those that are doing, figure out the "best business practices."

Not only was he patient with my many questions and have lots of good advice over email, he met up with me for an afternoon of talking shop. I had a great time, and learned a lot about a side to the industry that I'm not very exposed to.

A few weeks ago I was at another audition, and lo and behold, I made an audition buddy! We're looking at each other, they look familiar to me, I look familiar to them, and eventually after a few minutes of passively eying each other from across the room, we spoke! We introduced ourselves, and lo and behold, we have a zillion friends in common (because we are both actors, duh).

Fast forward to tonight, when my aud-bud invited me to see a wonderful play that he had comp tickets to. It was very refreshing and reinvigorating to talk about our journeys in the musical theater, and how we want to keep improving and going forward. The play was fantastic, with acting so good it was downright inspiring. What a treat!

Both of these interactions sprung from the tiniest point of human interaction. All it takes is reaching out and opening that window, and people will give you far more than you expect. You might even make a friend.

Comments

Popular Posts