Pantry Challenge I: Split Pea Soup



The groundhog saw his shadow today, and its 50 degrees and rainy. Okay - I'll take that over the SNO.M.G. from last week. I'm craving some serious comfort food.

I am moving, in 27 days, to be precise. (More on that in a future post.) I don't want to bring any food with me, and I certainly don't want it to go to waste. That brings me to my newest segment:

CLEAN OUT THE PANTRY CHALLENGE

Thanks to last week's power outage, I no longer have any freezer products or perishable items. What's left? 

A lot of dried beans, grains, and canned tomatoes. Day one of this challenge produced:


Split Pea Soup!

Using my crock pot, I assembled this soup at 8am this morning, and when I got home from work there was a tasty lunch waiting for me. I adapted and halved this recipe, because I am only cooking for myself. I have enough for three meals. For a family, go with the full recipe. 

Layer in your crock pot - 

8 oz dried split peas
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 clove chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
generous shake of pepper
light on salt
3 cups water

Don't stir it! Set your crock pot and go. Come home to a wonderful oniony aroma of goodness. Soup is done once the peas are tender. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. 

Comments

Popular Posts