Pantry Challenge V: Nigella's Kidney Bean Dip



Ooo yes, I just licked the spoon clean. In honor of Super Bowl Sunday I wanted to make something good for dipping, but all I had was one lonely bag of dried kidney beans!

After an evening of soaking, they were ready to go. A quick Googling came up with Nigella Lawson's incredible Red Kidney Bean Dip recipe. The reviewers' comments were so convincing -

"If I die and go to heaven, this is what George Clooney will be feeding me :. My favorite recipe of all time! " -  fowed


"If you haven't made this then you should." - blitz303_393641

Ok! I'm sold! Plus, the recipe called for very few ingredients, and it would be a nice vegetarian supplement to what is sure to be a very meaty Super Bowl party tonight. (And if George Clooney is serving this in Heaven, then people will start offing themselves. Keep it a secret.)

Here are my adjustments to the original recipe:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
4 baby carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 3/4 cup kidney beans
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tomato paste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp chili flakes
salt & pepper to taste
Lemon & Lime juice

Heat oil in pan and cook your onions, garlic, and carrots until brown. Add beans and water. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Fold in spices. Squeeze fresh lemon and lime juice ontop.

Put mixture in food processor. If it is not creamy enough, add more tomato paste and water. Adjust taste with more chili flakes if desired.

This is seriously delicious! The citrus adds an unexpected twist, and the carrots help bring an earthy sweetness to the protein in the beans. I'm trying to stop myself from eating all the dip before the party starts...

Now who's playing again?

Comments

Popular Posts