Brown Rice Challenge I

I have a huge container of brown medium grain rice that I just can't seem to get through. What better way than to challenge myself to come up with creative meals?



Brown Rice Challenge I: Fried Rice

Okay, maybe not terribly creative, but its a yummy and simple start to a new recipe series. 

1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 egg
1/2 chopped shallot
1/2 can of pineapple
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup edamame
pepper to taste

Cook your rice ahead of time and set aside. 

Saute your shallot in olive oil. Add rice and half of soy sauce until uniformly toasted. Add vegetables and toss with remaining soy sauce. Saute for 2 minutes. Push rice aside, and scramble egg. Once egg is cooked, mix together. Season with pepper to taste. Should not need salt - soy sauce will take care of that.

Normally you would use sesame oil, but I didn't have any on hand! Sesame would deepen the flavor, but olive oil is delicious all the same.

Comments

Popular Posts