To Brisket, or Not to Brisket




Yes, I ate the brisket. Oh, nom nom, yes I did.

I've been a "pescetarian" since June 20, 2010. Its been ten wonderful months of a plant and whole-grain based diet, supplemented by the occasional piece of fish or seafood. I have never felt healthier, more energetic, or more in touch with my body.

Since I moved to New York, I've been feeling a bit tired, and always hungry. I'm eating no differently than I did two months ago, but my lifestyle is now more active. I walk everywhere and I no longer sit at a desk for 7 hours a day. My body feels like it needs more calories.

For a while I was living in a "vegan-style;" forgoing diary products at home all together, and no eggs. To try and fill my belly a little more, I have been eating eggs, yogurt, and cheese regularly, but I am still hungry! I feel like I need more.

I am not sure if my body is undergoing a vegetarian plateau, or if I need more fish in my diet, but I have very strong cravings for beef. I think I would like to incorporate some high quality beef back into my diet in small amounts.

I started by tasting bites of my friend's meat-based meals last week, and I felt no immediate changes in my body. All signs go.

I knew I was going to have some of the Passover Brisket.

I had a small serving, perhaps one slice of meat, with a hearty serving of the pot roast vegetables. Immediately after I ate the meat, I felt peppy and satisfied.

Later that evening, I was very, very sick. I don't think my body was ready to accept meat. Maybe I just "run" better on veggies and fish.

I want to incorporate some meat back into my diet but have no idea how to do it in a safe and healthy way.

Comments

  1. This is a great, honest post.

    I'm also planning to bring some meat back into my diet. Check out a nearby farmer's market. Big ones have plenty of great meat options and will even sell ground beef, etc. so you don't have to do any of the hard work. I've been craving a REAL hamburger.

    ($$ comparison: 1 lb. ground beef at Dupont was $7 - much more $$ than grocery but higher quality and cheaper than buying burger out)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the beef was too heavy, too much too soon. You might try poultry instead, a bit lower on the food chain and easier on your system.
    just a worried mama's suggestion - can't have my Britty Baby with a crummy tummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts