Breaking Through the Nerves

{via}

This week I auditioned for Disney for the 7th time.

The difference is that this time, I was not nervous. I am learning that in audition situations I have nothing to prove to the auditor, only to prove to myself. By taking a step back and focusing on myself and the work I am presenting, it frees me of a feeling of expectation. I don't have to "try" so hard to be myself.

It is my long standing dream to be a Disney Princess. Partly growing up with the movies, partly being in love with everything Alan Menken has ever written, and partly the fact that they are a corporation known for treating its employees, especially actors, very well.

Walking into the audition waiting room, the same ol' toxic energy was steaming off of about 200 people. Actors get so nervous! We all start checking out every one else, stacking up our "competition."

I totally let that go. Instead, I started looking around the room to see who was really present and in the moment, and not in their heads, crazy with anxiety. The result? Three people.

I struck up conversations with the kids around me, one had come all the way from Boston on a day trip, the other from Wyoming (!!) for a two day audition spree.

Although I did not get an immediate call-back, I am proud of the work I displayed. I had a rapport with the casting director, and I know I presented a better product this time than last time. I'm growing. It's progress.

Comments

Popular Posts