Trouble in Tahiti

Coach, Tessa with our Conductor, Richard


Back home in suburbia, where I'm in rehearsals for Bernstein's Trouble in Tahiti, with the Inscape Chamber Orchestra. 

This piece is incredibly challenging for me, especially having worked almost exclusively in children's theater for the last two years. No frills about it - this is a one act opera. Although in English, the rhythms and notes are very challenging. Just when you start to expect the music to go one way, Bernstein throws you into left field. 

Not only is it musically exciting, the role is thrilling from an acting standpoint. Far too often is acting looked at as the last element in an operatic production. I can tell I am undergoing a shift because I have started to consider myself an actor first and a singer second; where by training I am the reverse. It is impossible for me to solely concentrate on the music without delving deep into the complicated relationship presented in this story.

I am very excited to present this piece to my friends and colleagues who are here in the Washington, D.C. area. The production is staged and with full orchestra. Although most of those involved are relatively young, I am in awe of the talent around me. I feel very inspired by those who have such a mastery of music and their musicianship (two very different things). 

Comments

Popular Posts