Washington, D.C. Greek Festival


On my day off from rehearsals I went to the Washington, D.C. Greek Festival held at the Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral. Although a rainy day, promises of delicious food and beautiful wares lured me in.


Yes, that is an entire lamb carcass roasting on a spit. Poor lamb. 

So many food options to choose from! Gyros, Spanakopita, Souvlaki, and all kinds of delicious deserts. Although I'm on the slow train back to meat town, I wasn't quite prepared to jump into a plate of Moussaka. 

I had a veggie burger topped with a feta cheese spread. Still pretty tasty. 

Baklava and Kataifi

For desert I could not pass up some Baklava and I was tempted to try a Kataifi, which is very similar to Baklava but with a shredded filo dough crust and less cinnamon. It was delicious, but not as much as the Baklava.

I joked with my former roommate Erin that I couldn't believe I came home from Astoria, Queens to go to a Greek festival. I could get these treats every day in my neighborhood!

Half-year resolution: Go to more festivals.

Comments

Popular Posts