Spirit Fingers Full of Spirit

Students at The Musical Theater Center performing at Millennium Stage

I saw five pieces of theater in eight days. Only one of my tickets was paid for. There are so many opportunities for free theater and artistic expression in this city, all you have to do is reach out and make yourself available. 

I made a quick trip home to D.C. to see Follies at the Kennedy Center. Holy crap, I think that was one of the most visually stunning performances I've seen. Beautiful "ghosts" of showgirls past listlessly drift around the stage in glittery showgirl costumes and huge headdresses.

My favorite part was seeing Bernadette Peters. She triggers something in me that makes me cry every time I see her perform. In concert, in a musical, on TV; I'm spontaneously crying. I really admire her and her career. My mother knows to always throw some tissues in the purse when we go to see her. 

Before the musical, we saw a bit of the Millennium Stage performance, which is free every day of the year. That evening's performance was by the students at the Musical Theater Center in Rockville, MD. 

I am assuming they were in late middle school/early high school. Their turquoise sparkles and showchoir vests drew me in. Although many moments were out of tune, and everyone was belting over each other (belting a happy choir does not make), their passion for performing kept me engaged. These kids are in their formative years, this is the moment when some of us actors decide to embark on this path for the rest of our lives. You could tell which kids were "in-it-to-win-it" and which ones were doing this as an after school activity. I just loved seeing such young, raw, passion. 

Even if their dance moves were a bit spirit-finger-y. 

Comments

Popular Posts