Out to Sea


The ocean is very powerful in terms of inspiring introspection. I've always felt very comfortable around water; like when I am there with my feet in the sand, everything seems calm and clear.

Spending the past two days with nothing to do but read and laze have helped me gain some perspective on my ever-churning career ambitions.

I had this realization:

I'm an excellent singer. I'm a good actor. I am a poor dancer.

No wonder the Musical Theater industry has been a little rocky for me. I love MT with all my heart; when I think about certain shows, moments I've seen, experiences, it can make me cry pretty spontaneously. That's how passionate I am about that field.

That's not where my true strengths lie. This past year I've been intensively studying acting to try and supplement the weaker part of my talent. I've totally neglected my true instrument - my voice.

I'm going to focus more on my voice. I plan to apply to Julliard School of Music for their 2012 graduate program.

While I'll continue auditioning and seeking advancement in the field I'm already in (Musical Theater), I'm going to open that opera door just a crack and see what opportunity comes of it.

If I get into Julliard, then the choice will be made for me. If I don't, then I'll continue on my current path.  This artistic life is all about rolling with the punches and staying open minded!



I had an amazing time at the beach with my old, dear friend, McGoogle. Long relationships help remind you where you've been, and where you are headed next. I'm sure I have another picture of us, 10 years ago, looking exactly the same.

Comments

  1. Yay for the beach with a life-long friend! I have so many pictures like that of me and my bestie from 3rd grade.

    And I totally feel ya about being at the beach and in the water. The ocean just calls to my soul--life looks so much different when I'm in the water.

    And congrats on grad school applyings! I'm rootin' for ya, lady. And I've checked out your demo reel, your voice is lovely and you should definitely utilize it. Break legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! Something about the ocean just opens my mind and perspective right up; like I'm so tiny compared to all that water so my issues can't possibly be that big.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts