The French Quarter, New Orleans



Bourbon Street

Thanks to our awesome production and scheduling staff, we were able to spend a few days off in the Big Easy when a venue was cancelled. While I am sad that a thousand kids missed out on our show, I was not with a lack of things to do in New Orleans.

Our hotel was downtown in the French Quarter, walking distance to spectacular architecture, tons of fresh seafood, and a rollicking good time on Bourbon Street.

I can’t quite put a finger on New Orleans; it reminds me of Morningside Heights in New York, Memphis, and Miami all wrapped into one neon package. Bourbon street felt a lot like Vegas, with less dressing up and beer drinking in the street. On Friday night, the several block stretch of Bourbon Street was packed like Times Square, with everyone openly drinking beer. Music flooded from half a dozen bars at once, similar to Nashville, but with less quality and more volume.




The French Quarter impressed me with its mix of Greek, Spanish, and America architecture. I could not get enough of the iron wrought balconies and soft pastel walls.  Always lively, street performers lined each block of boutiques and cafes.


There are several subcultures co-existing in New Orleans. Many of the youth appear to be homeless, dressed in torn clothing and squatting on sidewalks with various instruments. This jug band was terrific, playing traditional New Orleans style marches.

My New Orleans adventure will be spread out among a few blog entries. I saw so much and ate so much, I could write a novel!

Stay tuned….

Comments

  1. I LOVE New Orleans so much! I had a fantastic time when I visited several summers ago. I plan to go back soon. The Creole gumbo I had? The most legit thing I've ever tasted. For real.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts