Salvatore Dali Museum


We have plenty of downtime while touring. Before I left, friends would say to me, "But you'll be too busy to keep in touch!" and I responded, that I actually have more free time when I'm working away from home than when I am stationed in one place.

When we aren't driving or doing our shows, we have the time to ourselves. Some days only the crew is needed to set up/take down the set, and the actors are free to play in whatever city we are parked in.

The Persistence of Time
I took a trip to visit the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL. I was familiar with his most popular paintings, but did not know much about the famous surrealist or his body of work. This is the largest collection of his artwork, encompassing a very packed gallery. One floor took me a solid 2 hours to work through with my self-guided audio tour.


The building was as a tribute to his favorite artistic images, including a large spiral staircase at the heart of the museum, with an intricate, dome-shaped ceiling.

The museum was a wonderful way to spend a rainy afternoon, but I came away feeling a bit lonely and sad. His artwork features a lot of solitary images, as well as seemingly random combinations of images. I think I had a sensory overload, but left with the impression that Dali may have been an artistic genius, but I think he was a little self-indulgent in his desire to shock his audiences.

Soft Construction with Boiled Beans (Premonition of Civil War)
Not exactly something I would hang in my living room, but I can appreciate it.

Comments

  1. He's definitely got some really interesting stuff. I like wandering around museums too, it's a nice escape. Hope tour is going well!

    An exhibit is getting ready to open here in Atlanta that's a combination of Picasso and Warhol. I'm excited to check that one out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the diplomatic way you put it: not something I'd want in my living room but I appreciate it. Good perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts