Sometimes the Rain Can Be Charming...


One of our fearless crew members drove our boat of a Chevy Van into Manhattan. She fought through afternoon traffic, at one point boldly cutting off a MegaBus. This just furthered my personal fear of making a wrong turn out of Astoria, and ending up in the Lincoln Tunnel.

My first mission back in New York was to stop by my apartment to pick up/drop off a few things. It felt so good to be home, although the room doesn't resemble how I decorated and lived in it. I am already started to "nest," and thinking of ways ot decorate the apartment and start to really settle in. After all, its been 8 months since I officially moved to New York. Its time to make it feel like my space.

I've been spending the day catching up with old and new friends from New York. It feels so good to reconnect, to remember that even though I've been traveling all around th ecountry and making some new friends, I have a support network waiting for me in January.

Its a pishy sort of rain here today, but it can't shake the smile off of my face. I was a little nervous about returning to New York after two months away; maybe I'd forget how to take the subway, or forget how to walk quickly through a crowded sidewalk.

After a brief moment when I realized I needed a subway card to actually ride the subway (duh), it all came back to me. It feels like I never left.

In Astoria, there are banners of lights connecting the sides of the street, a few feet above the traffic. Christmas music is playing from speakers attached to light poles. At first I thought I was hearing things, but no, there is just an overwhelming sense of holiday cheer. It feels like a movie.

Its so good to be back. Although I still have a few months before I come back for good, I needed this little hug from the city to remind me that I still have roots here.

Comments

  1. So I've been trying to leave you comments on your last few posts and when I click 'post comment,' it takes me to a new page with an empty comment box and a word verification and my entire comment that I just wrote is gone. Do you know what's happening with that? Because I've written you so many awesome and hilarious comments and they keep disappearing into the void!

    Hooray for hugs from large metropolitan areas and holiday lights and Christmas cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea! I'm test driving this fancy new java script blogger format, but I think its causing some issues. May have to switch back - cause you know I love me some awesome and hilarious comments!

    Thanks for commenting! It means so much to know that people actually read and like the stuff I'm babbling on about...

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, lady! And I had a really awesome comment regarding the picture a few posts ago of you all bundled up, because you said you looked like you were auditioning for Rent, and before I even read that caption, I was like, "hey that looks like my costume for Rent!"--which I am in right now. :-) Genius.


    Happy thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always found that people with this type of confidence were charming http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-be-confident.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share the same fear of getting trapped in the Lincoln Tunnel. Seems to always have some issues with traffic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts