What I learned from NaNoWriMo

Please notice the new badge on the upper right hand corner of my blog. ---------->

That's right, I am a *winner* of the National Writing Month Challenge (also known as NaNoWriMo). Winning means that you have written 50,000 words in 30 days. I am happy I did this, although my final product is something that I may never show to anyone. I wrote it for myself.

When I started with my daily goal of 1,667 words per day, I didn't think it was possible. I said to my friends, "I'll probably stick to it for a week and get bored of it," which is my typical m.o. I thought about quitting around week 3, but I didn't. Somehow, I pushed through it and accomplished my goal, piece by piece, 1,667 words a day.

Reaching that finish line of 50,000 words, a whole day early, brought me a sense of peace. I couldn't believe I had just written 200 pages of my own words, in my personal voice.

I tend to make large goals like "Be on Broadway!" and "Get skinny for summer!" but have never been able to stick to small, short term goals. It was a lesson in self discipline. In order to accomplish anything at all, you have to build a little bit every day. Progress seems slow and small when you zoom in, but the big picture shows you how you've grown.

I plan on resting my "novel" for a bit, and revisiting it and editing it in the near future. I have always wanted to write a novel, but have never had the verve to actually start it. Even if the novel never goes anywhere, I can say that I made a goal and accomplished it.

Comments

  1. Hooray!!! I have yet to tackle NaNoWriMo, just because I know how my writing process goes and how this past November played out. I may try for next year, or just start it on my own to see if I can jog some juice into my creative process. I'm so glad you finished though! I'd love to get a sneak peek of the next bestseller. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts