So Many Princesses


Today was my seventh or eighth audition for Disney. I've auditioned for the parks, the cruises, the international parks.....and out of all those auditions, I've only been called back once. Its very frustrating because you think you fit well for a role, and whatever outside circumstances disqualifies you. Maybe my voice wasn't the right fit. Maybe I am an inch too short. Maybe I am an inch too tall. Maybe I look too multi-ethnic, but not ethnic enough to fit the newer princess roles.

Its very frustrating. The thing about these auditions is that a lot of people show up, often traveling several hundred miles to get there. I know I did in the beginning; I've traveled to Boston and Orlando, and taken several bus trips to New York for those open calls. I'd estimate I've spent 24 hours of my life auditioning at various open calls for Disney.

And after all of that, I think that I am not the correct type for their positions. I have several friends and acquaintances that have worked at the parks and on the cruises. I've often wondered, "Why them and not me?" but I think that it just wasn't meant to be.

When you go to an open call, there are no equity audition rules, although the Disney contracts are equity. This means that equity members *do not* get to go first or make an appointment, and auditions are done on a first come, first serve basis. As many equity members as there are in the city, there are twice as many non-equity members, vying for the same jobs. I had a nice reminder or what it's like to be non-equity in New York City. I found myself getting oddly nervous right before going into the room. There's all this weight of the last three hours of your life spent waiting, and that you want to make the best of your audition, otherwise the day is wasted. I am not very good at waiting. This, I need to improve.

Comments

Popular Posts