When In Doubt....

When in doubt, show up early.

Like, really early.

Like, two hours early.

Today's audition was for a regional summer stock theater in California and I had grossly underestimated the number of actors who wanted to work there. I've never seen an equity audition quite like this, with so many folks wanting appointments that the line circled three times and then went out in the hallway, to the room next door.

I had an alternate number, thinking I'd have enough time to go to the gym, grab lunch, and come back. What are the chances that 20 people who woke up super early to get their appointments would decide they weren't interested and not show?

Highly likely, as it turns out. My number was called in the first hour, and of course, I was not there.

Second lesson learned: When in doubt, wait. Park your butt down and wait.

Thankfully they are having a second day of auditions tomorrow, and I will get there super early so I can have an appointment, and be there for it.

PS: An amazing tool for battling audition blues is to watch Tony acceptance speeches on you tube. This is my favorite one of all time.

PPS: Any readers out there have a diva/rolling suitcase that they take on auditions? Any recommendations?

Comments

  1. Oh man. You are having such an insane (productive) week, what with all the princesses and the masses of people! From those auditions you had recently where all those people didn't show up, though, I would have thought you'd stick around as an alternate, since you seem to have amazing luck with getting called early lately! :-D Break legs tomorrow, and hopefully you won't have to sit around for too long.

    I usually just bring my dance bag with whatever I need folded up inside it for auditions if I know I may want to change or bring a back-up outfit or extra sheet music/etc. I find that that the over-the-shoulder bag is more convenient for me than the rolling suitcase. Suitcases take up so much room, and I already feel weird leaving my things unattended if they expect me to not carry my stuff into the audition room with me. I also feel like they are a nuisance to other people, not just me, if things are crowded and here I am with this massive rolling thing. I will say, though, I've seen someone with one before that was really thin, so it didn't take up as much space, and if she set up straight, it just leaned against the wall and wasn't bothersome and still held all her stuff. Maybe something to research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, great speech. Clearly sitting here in tears! Thanks for sharing Britt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts