A Lot of Face - Playing with Website Design

I've been thinking a lot lately about how the way we communicate on the Internet is rapidly evolving. Five years ago, I was hesitant to put my full name on my YouTube videos, and now I unabashedly self-promote myself across multiple social media platforms - all using my full name and 100% transparency.

My current website design is a year old, but as I'm watching web trends, I think it's time for an update. I want to start incorporating my new headshot and color scheme into the design to create a consistent image across my Internet and paper marketing materials.

Just playing around, here is a new mock-up of my homepage:


Previously, my website has always been very clean, steering away from extra embellishments (please disregard any small errors, they will be fixed along the way). I'm playing around with adding a little bit more dimension to the site, like the gradient color and the layered home bar.


Perhaps the biggest difference is that I'm playing around with a much longer site that would require you to scroll down. My hope is that from the homepage, you will get a clear snapshot of what I'm about, and when you scroll down, you'll get a little teaser about what's going on with me in my career and around the inter-webs. I'm most excited about incorporating my blog! (A year ago, I was too shy to link to my posts on Facebook, and now, thanks to NetworkedBlogs, they post automatically to my Facebook and Twitter).

My question to you, lovely readers is, do you think this is information overload on the homepage? My current homepage looks something like this:


Which I have been told is "a lot of face." 

What do you think?

Comments

  1. I like that last image a lot, actually. And your face is gorgeous, so I'm not bothered with how much of it there is.

    My home page is really really simple. It's basically just my headshot and links to other pages, so I think for other actors, it completely depends on what kind of information you want people to see as the very first thing when they go to your site. On the one hand, having a lot of info on the first page means that more people will see more information with fewer clicks if they are just quickly glancing through. On the other hand, it's about how you present yourself and your material. Is the point to get people to click to other pages? Or would you rather have the most important stuff out there in front?

    I also love the image on the top of you in the purple blouse as if you were leaning up against the info on the right like it's a wall, but I like the expression you have in the bottom photograph better. I'm a stickler for asymmetrical, interesting and large photos. I think you've got a cool design happening!

    Hopefully that helps, I'm a little scattered today! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts