Fireworks Around the City

Double fireworks.

My Fourth of July was perfect - filled with sunshine, good food, and good friends. Last year I headed down to the Hudson River waterfront, and it was so crowded I couldn't enjoy myself. I decided it would be okay not to see the fireworks and resolved to stay in Astoria.

I headed to a friend's apartment in the neighborhood for tacos and margaritas. She lives in one of the tallest buildings on her street, so around 9pm we snuck up to the roof with ice cream and blackberry cobbler to try our luck at seeing fireworks.

I wasn't expecting to see any because Astoria is to the East of Manhattan, and the Macy's fireworks are on the West side. I was totally wrong. Not only could we see the Hudson River fireworks over the tops of the tall Manhattan buildings, we saw at least 8 different barges throughout the city. From our vantage point we saw fireworks on 80th st, 15th st, Long Island, Brooklyn, and the south side of Queens. It was literally fireworks in 360.

The twinkling fireworks were so beautiful over the evening lights of the city. It felt like one of those perfect New York moments when I am so grateful to live here.

Comments

  1. Yes, yes!!! I rushed to Hoboken at the last min to see the Macy fireworks! While I got stuck in a little traffic and never got to actually park up. I got to see the last half of the fire works and they were absolutely beautiful. I agree a true NYC moment and so happy I live here :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts