The 9-5 vs. Staying Creative

From a creative standpoint, the past month has been pretty slow (hence the lack of blogging). I've been working at a wonderful temp assignment, and its been an eye-opening glimpse into "what could be." In an alternate version of my life I could have a similar job working in an office filled with stable hours and free yogurt; paid vacation and predictable lunch breaks. It has been a welcomed vacation from the usual stress of auditions and submitting myself to projects. Initially the consistency was jarring, but it now has become something very comforting. Usually a Friday doesn't feel any different to me than a Tuesday, but recently I've been living for the weekends and valuing my free time with people that really matter.

The key here is that the position is temporary, and I am leaving before it gets too comfortable. I must always remember why I moved to New York, and it wasn't to answer someone else's phone calls.

I am still developing my one-woman cabaret style show, but with the unexpected booking of the show in Maine, the process is moving more slowly than anticipated. I've picked my repertoire, and now I just have to polish it and incorporate a story line. I'm planning for a mid-September show date, but if it doesn't happen until December, that's okay, too. There is no race, and I want to make sure that when the show goes up, it is a polished representation of what I am capable of.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to my upcoming gig. The other professional actors and I will be leaving from New York on Monday morning, which means I am in the frantic process of packing my life into a suitcase again/saying goodbye. I won't be gone for long, but there is a feeling of nostalgia and a chapter being closed whenever I leave New York City.

Most importantly, lobster is currently cheaper than bologna. Oh, yeah.

Comments

  1. Britt! Enjoyed the post, I too will be starting a 9-5 in 2wks, but because it will be a means to an end I'm dealing! As we know pursuing acting isn't cheap, but as you stated I don't plan on getting too comforble!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts