Cadillac Mountain


I have never been an athletic person. When some coworkers asked me if I'd like to join them on a hike on our day off, I thought, "Why not? It's an adventure!"

I didn't realize we'd be hiking Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, one of the highest points on the eastern seaboard. At 1,528 ft above sea level, it is rumored to be the first point sunlight hits in the United States each morning. 

And I thought we were going for an easy nature trail. 


Subway sandwiches on a mountain top. Hello, product endorsement!
The hike was very challenging. When we pulled into the nature center to map our route, the ranger told us that "some may find this trail vigorous." That is the biggest understatement I've ever heard!

There is nothing quite like pushing yourself on a hike. Its not like a treadmill where you can stop for a break if you get tired. If you are climbing up a mountain, you've got to climb down at some point.


We were rewarded with spectacular views of the surrounding islands. Although it was a foggy day at sea level, it was hot and clear above the trees.


At the summit of Cadillac Mountain, you can see individual clouds of fog surrounding the bodies of land. 

Three hours later, we successfully hiked down the mountain and rewarded ourselves with a big dinner in Bar Harbor. My post-dinner ice-cream was well deserved! 




Comments

Popular Posts