Planting Seeds

Three years ago while on tour, one of my castmates told me about a housing program that offers low cost housing to professional artists living in New York City. This concept stuck in my brain and I thought, "if I could secure housing, maybe New York wouldn't seem so scary."

I applied to this program long before I actually moved to New York and forgot about my application.

This summer I received a phone call notifying me that I was currently at the top of the waitlist for an apartment. This was such a huge surprise! Here I was, working on a show 500 miles from New York, being offered a studio at a reasonable price!

First I needed to reapply which took several weeks to gather the correct paperwork. Last week I went for an interview and a tour of the apartment. Out of three applicants interviewed, I have been selected for the unit.

It is approx 325 square feet and located just east of the Chelsea neighborhood (where my classes will be located in a few short weeks). It may be cozy, but it is all mine. While I am sad to be leaving my fantastic roommates and neighborhood in Queens, this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

I will be living in the heart of Manhattan - an option that I never thought was fiscally possible. I look forward to Sunday morning flea markets, and walking home after dinner with friends (instead of taking the sometimes unpredictable E late at night). As of this Friday, I will be an official resident of New York City!

Being granted a unit in this building is just one of the many seeds I've planted that have grown into beautiful opportunities. Success here in New York definitely doesn't happen over night. I've been in this city for 18 months and finally can see the pieces of my life falling into place. Its a very exciting time.

Comments

  1. This sounds amazing. What a fantastic area! I'm sure it will make living and surviving in NYC that little bit easier :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Congrats Britt, that is awesome. I love Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts