You Say Goodbye, and I say Hello.

{Artsy photo courtesy of MYPhotographyNYC.com. "Is your halo drooping, or is it about to strangle you?" - Mom}

2012 brought some very exciting personal and professional progress. There are always moments at the end of each year when I have a mini-existential crisis. "Where did the year go? What do I have to show for myself? I didn't do anything!"

Once I stop the little evil voices in my brain, I can actually see that in hindsight, 2012 was a terrifically exciting year. No amount of progress is without its setbacks, but if anything, I can say that I tackled the years challenges with tenacity and bravery. I tried my best and refused to settle even when it was really hard.

In January I was doing what I love the most, and achieved a personal goal: performing at the Kennedy Center. Not just on tour, but actually being in an in-house production doing 8-12 shows a week.

February I started to restructure my career goals and took the Savvy Actor Crash MBA Course. The class gave me the permission to do what I actually want to do instead of spreading myself thin. I started prioritizing. I want to A.)Specialize in classical musical theater (duh) and B.) Receive more training so I can be absolutely confident in my skill set. Taking this class also proved to be beneficial for networking.


With the Knuffle cast in front of our Bahraini billboard.

March took me on an international adventure - Knuffle Bunny traveled to Manama, Bahrain, to be in the Spring of Culture Festival. Cast replacements became new friends and we had quite an adventure. I still can't believe I got paid to take a trip abroad! More, please.


On set at the "Your O's" commercial. I've never worn so much sports swag in my life!

In April I hit the audition scene hard, trying to line up gigs for the summer. While at the time it seemed fruitless, I was proven wrong later in the summer. I filmed a commercial and an infomercial. I saw Oprah at Radio City Music Hall. (Bucket list - check.)

Totally frustrated with my career, in May I made the decision to audition for a one-year conservatory program. I lacked confidence....I didn't think I'd make the cut. I hadn't wanted anything that badly in a really long time.

In June, I was accepted! I felt steeled by knowing that I was being proactive and would have new challenges on the horizon. I received a call from an audition I went on in April (which was set up by a new acquaintance I had met in February). Someone had dropped out of the show last minute, and would I like to replace her? Turns out I didn't get the job initially because I looked too much like the girl who had dropped out, but they would love to have me.


Opera House Arts, Stonington, ME

Sounds good to me! In July I found myself in a car with total strangers on the way to an opera house in Maine. I spent most of July and August living on the water and eating lobster (not to mention performing a show for a very appreciative, tight knit community in Stonington, ME). I marked a new state off on my travel map!

In September I moved to my first solo apartment in Manhattan, fell in love with the man of my dreams, and started an acting conservatory program. Three things that I had sworn would never happen. I was proven wrong.

I started a new job, teaching music classes to Pre-K. There's nothing more challenging than managing a class of five year olds all shouting, "Miss Brittany!" It makes auditioning look like a piece of cake.


Singing at Carnegie Hall with Michael.

In October, I sang at Carnegie Hall and shared a stage with one of my idols, Kelli O'Hara. I lost my childhood best friend which was incredibly painful and challenging. Other "friends" started to fall away, and I found myself left with a core group of people who are truly understanding, considerate, and supportive. I learned that you don't need a lot of friends - just a few gems.

November brought more challenges; a demanding school and work schedule. A family member with a very scary illness. Emergency family time and lots of traveling between state lines. Learning that its okay to rely on the people who are your rocks.


Jet Skiing with my brother in the Bahamas. 

December found relief and some resolution from aforementioned scary illness, and my family member is now healthy and in the clear. We spent lots of family time together, and I got to mark off another country on my map (Hey there, Bahamas!).


The boys. 


Tonight I'll ring in the new year with Michael at Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant, Butter. Later we'll catch the fireworks on my roof and cuddle with his adorable dog, Max. I find myself surrounded by love and look forward to challenges on the horizon. School starts again January 2nd, and in May I'll be re-released into the real world of auditioning.

Its been a good year. I'm excited to see what 2013 has to bring.

(Broadway??? :) )

Comments

  1. Hahaha I'm always randomly checking in with you - but it's kind of crazy how similar our years where in 2012! Even in the timing of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny. I hope you've been doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts