Drama League Gala



Last week I had the opportunity to sing at the Drama League Gala honoring Audra McDonald. I was a member of the finale chorus, supporting a duet between Brian Stokes Mitchell and Norm Lewis. They did a delicious medley of “Wheels of a Dream” and “I’m On My Way.” Yum.


It was such an honor to be included in an event featuring so many of my role models! One successful performer after another….I can now add Patti Lupone and Zoe Caldwell to my list of Broadway megastars that I’ve inadvertantly crossed paths and shared a stage with this year. Others including Kelli O'Hara, Barbara Streisand, Aretha Franklin, Liza Minelli.....Ho Hum.



The highlight of the evening was Audra’s acceptance speech. My spot on stage was right smack in the front row, behind the podium. (Sometimes its good to be a shorty!) I stood directly behind her as she spoke, and I felt her spot light bright on my face. It was so easy for my mind to take off into a fantasy, imagining what I will say when I accept my first award.


Audra has won five Tony awards, and yet she is completely humble. Presenters described her as shy…until she opens her mouth to sing. In her speech, she specifically thanked the people she didn’t know onstage, aka, the volunteer chorus; saying that we are the future of Musical Theater, and she can remember when she volunteered at her first Drama League Event.


No, I'm not constipated, just in strange mixture of awe and holding back tears. The photographer caught my joy at an odd moment. {Still from video compliments of BroadwayWorld.com}

At this moment, Audra was so close to me, and almost looking me right in the eye (Mike swears she was looking at him) and I was fighting to hold back tears. In this picture it looks like I might be in pain, but I’m just trying not to loose all my marbles on stage.



If anything – Its another great celebrity photo bomb moment. Remember this moment from October when I photobombed Kelli O’Hara and Aaron Lazaar?




Yup.




Comments

  1. Thanks for coming, BB! Great singing. AWESOME photobombing! :)
    DL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts