My italian? Yea...I can't even order a sandwhich.

The regular internet isn't set up in the hostel yet, so right now I'm in Bar Astro, which is a cute little bar/internet cafe in Lucca near the center of the CCM Opera activities. There are a bunch of people from the program all on their computers at once catching up with folks back home...its all very cute in a slightly antisocial futuristic way.

I had a relatively uneventful rest of my trip over to Lucca from Paris. Just a short plane ride, and I totally slept the whole way. I decided not to brave the Italian train system with all of my luggage, and instead made the investment (it was certainly a GOOD investment) and take the pricey cab to Lucca from Pisa.

I finally got to the Ostel San Frediano on Sunday feeling very exhausted, although I have little to complain about compared to others. One of my roommates in the hostel had her luggage lost for more than 4 days (its still currently lost), and others were stuck on the runway at JFK for 7 hours. I almost booked that same flight! I was so relieved that I took the trip that I did. (I hope I'm not jinxing myself for the trip on the way back)

The hostel is pretty nice I think, although I've never seen a hostel before so I have nothing to compare it to. Its basically like a dorm. There are 5 of us to a room, with a private bathroom, plus a few ants here and there, but not much else to complain about.

Monday was a free day to explore, and me and some roommates slept in, walked around, got food and gelato basically all day. I am surprised at the food, it really isn't as good as I thought it would be. A lot of prosciutto, but its not AMAZING. (I almost am craving hummus.)

The people are generally nice, but are all from Ohio based schools, mostly CCM, which is the school that sponsors the program. I have only met one other person who has come into this program with no other friends, and as a result, there are several cliques of people, and it is a little difficult to break into them. Today I met a few gems, and we already have travel plans for this weekend.

This weekend I'll be traveling to Cinqueterra (sp?) which are apparently five little beachy towns, and some people want to hike through them, although if I get tired I can always take the train to the next one and hang out on the beach. (I'll probably be at the beach all day, knowing me.) Its only a day trip, so on Sunday, I wanted to take the train to Florence, which is only about 2 hours away by train. It should be another nice day trip.

Today, Tuesday, we had our first official meeting, got a few questions answered, and sang for the faculty. I sang "Donde Lieta" and I think I was okay....my voice is still recovering from whatever sickness I have, and I was kind of nervous. Because they have assigned me so much to do (singing a big scene from "La Traviata" plus covering Mimi and Musetta), and no one knows who I am, a few people have been anticipating hearing me sing. I think I did well, they got the flavor of who I am, but of course, I think I could have done better.

Special note about Italians: Laurie told me not to pack ANY blue jeans or ANY sneakers. MOST Italians in Lucca wear blue jeans, and sneakers. Yes, they are more stylish and put together versions than Americans walking around the mall, but they DO wear it. I'm happy I brought a pair of sneakers.

Today I saw Ricky, Roseanne, Rebecca, Rachel, some distant family friends. I heard Rebecca through the door, and she has a very big voice for a 15 year old. If she sounds like this at 15....then I don't know what she'll sound like at 21. She's truly got a bright future ahead of her, and shes sweet as can be.

The town of Lucca itself is so cool...unlike anything I've really seen before. The town is surrounded by a wall, I think to protect the city in the 1600s (I missed the info tour....it was very poorly publicized.) It is very small, probably the size of UMD's campus, very beautiful, everything made of gray stone. Lots of little restaurants, gelatterias, and upscale shops (which I thought was surprising).

I haven't taken many pictures yet, but I will and I'll put them up soon. As the days go by (I've only been here 3 days)....its easier to meet people, and people let down their guard little by little. Like I said, its hard, because mostly everyone knows everyone else, but I'm determined to get close with these people. I'm not giving up.

Oh, my Italian cell doesn't work yet. So if you need me, you can call my regular number.

And thats about it. I apologize for the rambling.....more updates when internet becomes free!

Comments

Popular Posts