Its the little things

I feel like I should name this chapter of my blog something snail-themed, since I'm carrying my home on my back these days. Its such an interesting state of living. Not complaining, here - just general observations.

I did a funny thing today. I walked through a drive-through ATM. It felt a little sketchy, but hey, it was the only one around. Maybe next I'll walk through a drive-through McDonalds.

Never in my life did I think I'd be so excited to have a mini fridge in my hotel room! Or be an expert on which hotel chain has the best powdered eggs or the most sanitary looking bedspreads.

Hotels are filthy, disgusting places. As one can only imagine, with people coming in and out of them daily, taking care of their private business behind closed doors for a night or two. I know its hard to keep places like this clean, but never the less, I get a little grossed out when I see someone else's hair in the bathroom or mysterious looking stains on the towels...

I just pretend I don't see it and just don't look. We are staying in some really nice hotels, and I am very happy with my accommodations. However no matter how you spin it, it just isn't home, and it isn't the way I would clean the bathroom, or what type of english muffins I would choose for the continental breakfast. The motto is "roll with the punches."

On an unrelated note, this is a great study of cultures across America. Someone told us to take pictures of one specific thing in each town we go to, so we can have a themed album at the end of our tour. For example, a photographer was on a cross-country road trip and took a picture of his breakfast every morning. Okay, bear with me here. We are in North Carolina. I knew a girl from N.C. who had this short, blond, stacked bob. I never understood why a girl in college would have such a suburban-Mom type cut...until I came to N.C.! Every woman here has this haircut. It makes perfect sense to me now! Maybe I should make my photo album about the popular hairstyles in each town. Is that creepy?

Comments

Popular Posts