Relativity

Escher, "Relativity"

This has always been one of my favorite pieces of art. Its hard to tell what direction the people are going, or if they are going anywhere at all. Its all about your perspective, really - but isn't that the wonderful thing about art, that its all in the eye of the beholder?

This week I taught a workshop at a local performing arts magnet, as a favor to an old mentor of mine. I talked/lectured 9th-12th graders on what I felt were important factors to "making it" in the performing business. This was a little funny to me at the time because I've been going through some self-doubt lately. I certainly haven't MADE IT/BROADWAY/BIG TIME, but my mentor found me qualified to give advice to the next generation of performers.

Perspective. Its all about perspective. You know what - I may not have "Made it" in a flashing broadway lights type way quite yet, but I've made a personal commitment to myself that I feel few have, and I am working, every day, towards honoring that commitment. I'm taking logical steps towards my goals. I face adversity daily. I do not take the easy path. This is what I told the kids, and I think they listened. I tried to tell them what I had hoped someone told me when I was 18 and completely in the dark about what actually happens in between having a dream and being given the opportunity to share your dream with an audience.

And on that note, when people don't believe in this dream I have or support me in my path; thats just their perspective. Do you think I am going up or down or sideways? Thats your relativity.

Comments

Popular Posts