The Thrifty Actor: Part X

{ via }
The Thrifty Actor Part X: To Furnish or Not to Furnish

Craigslist

In anticipation of my upcoming move, I put all my heaviest furniture on Craigslist.org, because I don't want to hire movers again. I posted a bookshelf at 1pm, and by 4pm, it was gone, cash in my pocket. 

Of course you want to use your best judgement when inviting strangers into your home. However, I've been pleasantly surprised at the Craigslist community. Besides the spam emails asking to wire me funds from Kenya, everyone I've dealt with has been kind and honest. Not sketchy at all. 

Inversely, if you are looking for furniture on the cheap - Craiglist it! 

The Freecycle Network

This is an online community, Freecycle.org, where people in your area post items that they either want, or want to get rid of, and are giving away free of charge. The aim is to keep our landfills a little less overcrowded by giving a gift to a neighbor. Communication is via email, and most people leave the items on their front porch for pickup. 

What a great way to recycle things that you don't want anymore! I'm going to pick up some moving boxes this afternoon. 

Comments

Popular Posts